One of the great things about Android is the ability to customize how your apps look. But not everyone is comfortable downloading launchers and various icon sets. Luckily, there’s a simple way on the Samsung Galaxy S8 you can tweak the look of the app icons without downloading or installing anything. Here’s how:
Swipe down from the top of the screen and Tap Settings in the top, right corner of the display
Tap Icon frames
Now, just select Icons only or Icons with frames. Frames sit around the outside of the icon, giving it a thick, white border. You can see below what the S8 looks like with and without frames on for some of the stock apps.
For more tips on the Samsung Galaxy S8, check out some of our other posts:
• Get the highest resolution on your Samsung Galaxy S8
• Change the Navigation button order on your Samsung Galaxy S8
• Show all your apps on Samsung Galaxy S8
• How to add widgets on your Samsung Galaxy S8
And we’re always adding new tips, so keep checking back.
9 Comments to “Change icon frames on Samsung Galaxy S8”
Finally i have got nice icons. Thank you!
You’re very welcome, Gabriel. Thank YOU for the comment. Look out for another post on icons soon!
In my settings… icons frames won’t open. What should I do?
Thanks for the question. When you say it won’t open, could you elaborate a bit? Is the tab greyed out? Or does it look like it’s tap-able, but doesn’t respond when tapping it? Or is it something else?
I have the same issue. It’s a bit darker and when I tap it, or does nothing.
Thanks for the question. Ah, the wonders of technology. So, without seeing your device, I couldn’t (for sure) tell you the exact reason—however, I can give a few possible reasons it’s happening, as well as the solution.
1. Did you install a theme or launcher? If so, you’ll need to uninstall it
While all Samsung devices are Android devices, they also have another layer of user interface on top to give a branded experience to the user. These are also known as Skins. On Samsung, that skin is called TouchWiz—and the ability to change icon frames is a feature that’s built into that skin. So if you’ve downloaded something like a theme or a launcher (ex: Nova Launcher, Apex Launcher, etc.) that changes the fundamental way your Galaxy S8 works, it could turn off the ability to access this feature. So if you have, you’ll either need to uninstall that theme or launcher, or find an app to change your icons altogether. You could also try tapping Settings, then Apps. Tap the three dots in the top corner, tap Default Apps,tap Homescreen, then select TouchWiz launcher.
2. SOFT Reset the device
It could be your phone is just acting up (kind of like throwing a small tantrum) and needs a quick nap. So performing a SOFT reset could give it the nap it needs to feel better. To do this, simply press and hold the Power button down on the device until you see the Power Off or Reset options. Tap Reset. You could also just turn the device off for a minute, then turn it back on. You’d actually be amazed at how many things can be resolved by doing this simple thing.
3. HARD reset/Factory Reset the device
This is the LAST RESORT option. I say that because doing this will wipe your device of any and all data and restore it to a brand new device. While you can easily get back any apps or content you’ve downloaded or bought from the Google Play Store, and contacts and email you use with Google, you may lose things like pictures if you haven’t backed them up somewhere.
To do this:
• Turn off your phone by pressing and holding the Power button, then tap Power Off
• Press and hold the Power button and the Volume Up button together until you see the Samsung logo—then release.
• You should see an option called “wipe data / factory reset”. Navigate to it by using the Volume buttons.
• Once it’s highlighted, press the Power button.
• The next screen should ask you to confirm if you want to delete. You should see a lot “No’s”, and one “Yes”. Use the Volume buttons to navigate to Yes, then press Power button to confirm.
• Then highlight “Reboot system now”, and press the Power button to confirm.
Let me know if any of these solve your problem. And thanks again for your comment.
I meant,, it does nothing.
Hello, say, I keep getting a message that on the prior page if I hit the expand icon button I will be able to view the full website. I am not able to find any means of expanding an icon, can you help? Thank you